top of page

Getting care and support for dementia

You might be able to get assistance and support now or in the future. You might be qualified for financial aid, while nearby organisations and later care could offer you the assistance you require.

Where can I find further assistance? Local support groups can really help, whether you already receive support and feel like you need more, you don't feel supported right now, or you just want to meet people who are going through similar experiences.

  • In a relaxed environment, memory cafés provide assistance and knowledge. They enable you to interact with other dementia sufferers. You are welcome to attend with your carer, and there may occasionally be qualified carers on hand to speak with in confidentially.

  • You can continue your favourite interests or pick up new ones while making new friends by participating in creative activities like arts and crafts or music classes.

  • Following diagnosis, Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST), a brief programme for persons with mild to severe dementia, typically runs twice weekly for 7 weeks. Participants engage in worthwhile and exciting activities that have been shown to support memory and mental performance. Find out which Age UKs in your area are offering CST-related programmes.

  • Nursery facilities can offer companionship and activities. Others are only for persons with more severe forms of dementia. Some are for older adults with or without dementia.

Who could help me out financially? Verify that you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled. Depending on your age, you can qualify for a disability benefit, such as Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance. Your income and savings won't be taken into consideration because these are not means-tested. You can qualify for a 25% Council Tax bill decrease if you live alone. Or, if you share a residence with someone else, they can be eligible for a 25% council tax rebate as a result of your dementia. They might be entitled to another 25% off as your dementia worsens. If you have a carer they may be entitled to Carer's Allowance. However, if they claim it, any income-related benefits you receive, such as Pension Credit, may be reduced. What if I require more assistance down the road? You may sense that you are approaching a point where you require extra assistance. There are choices you can make. Social care Contact your local social services office and request a care needs evaluation if you are having trouble managing everyday responsibilities or components of personal care. They will give you information and guidance, consider the type of assistance you require, and determine the programmes that might be of assistance. If you are eligible for assistance, you can be given a personal budget. You can use this grant from the council to plan and fund your care. Because there are different restrictions in different parts of the UK, the cost will vary depending on the service you receive and where you live. Housing choices Consider what you want to happen if your dementia worsens to the point where you require a lot more assistance. It can be difficult to consider this, but doing so should ensure that your wishes are honoured if you are unable to make that choice in the future. There are numerous choices.

  • Age-specific housing is known as sheltered housing. You have your own home, but if you require more assistance, it is available. You can relocate with your partner if you have one.

  • Sheltered housing is comparable to extra-care housing, but more assistance is offered. Services vary, but frequently include meals and personal care. How much assistance you require will determine the price. You can relocate with your partner if you have one.

  • Personal care and nursing care are both provided in care facilities. They are staffed around-the-clock.

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All



bottom of page